Roy Rose shares some of his favourite quotes and drollery from the archery world.
We’ve always been aware that many a true word can be spoken in jest, and as an archery journalist who first put pen to paper some time ago, I have accumulated innumerable examples.
Some may well raise a smile, but all will have an archery message well worth implementing. Which is your favourite? Let us know in the comment section!
“If you want to be number one, then you need to practice like you’re number two.”
– When I’m asked “how intensely should I be practising”?
“Coaching and inspiration comes from others, but motivation must come from within.”
“Anything that’s worth doing, is worth overdoing.”
“This guy is supposed to be way better than you – well he probably is – but not this afternoon.”
– A coach comment to a competitor facing a famous opponent in a head to head elimination.
“You don’t have access to a guard dog, and then bark yourself.”
-When students don’t listen to coaches
“If you’re looking at something getting smaller, it’s me walking away.”
– A coach’s comment to a know-all student. Never be that guy!
“The best you can be is always a road under construction.”
– Never allow a bad shot or a negative outcome to affect your ongoing efforts.
“You can’t unring the bell”.
“The real distance you’re shooting is the measurement between your ears”.
– The mental side is important, but never overthink a situation.
“If you don’t have a plan nothing can go wrong.”
“Champions don’t ask what is possible, they decide what is possible.”
– We can all learn from champions and the state of mind they bring to the competitive arena.
“Don’t get bitter, get better”.
– Losing is never fun, but…
“He’s as strong as a garlic milkshake!”
“He’s a little bit above below average!”
“She plays it as cool as the underside of a pillow.”
“He’s not here to take part, he’s here to take over.”
– A very famous coach’s assessments of elite competitors
“He practices almost every day. He almost practiced today, he almost practiced yesterday!”
– The same coach, less complimentary
“Noah could only take two of everyone on the board, but there was only ever room for one of him!”
– Of a complex, and at times exasperating performer
“One village is missing an idiot!”
– A world champion’s assessment of a badly thought out, and shot, field target
“To err is human, but to really stuff up you need to shoot a bow like this one.”
– A famous professional about to lose his sponsorship. He later apologised, but to no effect.
“To finish first, you must learn to first finish”
–Never, ever give up halfway through a round
“Archery is ninety per cent mental, and the other fifty per cent is physical!”
– A well-known, but pertinent quote
“Form is temporary, class is permanent”
“In competitive situations, the meek inherit nothing!”
– Always back yourself to get it done – and always be willing to learn and be open to new ideas, anything than motivate and inspire.
“Action is the only prayer that is ever really answered.”
“If you have the real desire, you already have the power.”
“If you aren’t the lead dog, the view never changes.”